Tuesday, July 2, 2013

ABOUT Vanguard Of Freedom

ABOUT

Van Guard of Freedom

"Van Guard"

The Name.  Yes, it's a nom de plume, but I chose it from my dubious past, from a joke someone made about myself and a "van."  It is significant only to me.

Additonally, however, I chose that name to honor those I served with during my "tumultuous" Navy years (in my opinion) 1969-1973.  For the most part I was stationed in the Washington D.C. area in "communications".  My intention was to join the Navy to become a Corpsman and serve with the Marines.  The Marines had no "medics" and I had dared to major in "pre-med" in college.  The Navy, however, had other plans for me.  Apparently the Navy knew more about my communications aptitude than I did.  Eventually I discovered that my "big mouth," which got me into considerable trouble (I started as an E-3 and remained that way throughout my four years in "the Nav"), could be channeled into something constructive, and to borrow a quip from the notorious radio talk show host, Neal Boortz, (paraphrased, of course) I turned a nasty personality disorder, into a positive activity.

I do understand that some would take issue with my definition of "positive."

The Navy was more than generous to me, despite my recalcitrance, (or perhaps in some cases, because of it) and, I choose to believe, rewarded me with invaluable training in Communications "operations" and "security," and I acquired considerable insight consequently, and I emerged from that adventure, quite blessed and privileged with the experience to be able to work eventually in The Media, specifically in the promotion and marketing areas (in the beginning) and then in the local T.V. News Reporting, Editing and On-Air/Announcing fields.

I have since ventured to become a publisher of a local community newspaper. It was a small venture, in which I also assumed the status of editor, reporter, writer, photographer, etc.  Ask any editor of a small community newspaper and they will tell you that at one time or another, they have had to assume all the "hats" (or most of them) to keep operating.

It's my opinion that upon taking sides in any issue, one loses approximately fifty percent of one's audience (the opposition). I have been known to lean toward Conservatism, but I would say a more apt description is that I have sworn to uphold our Constitution, and that I work towards that ideal as deliberately and as fervently as I am able to, and so I will actively challenge encroachments and expeditions into the subversion of our Founding document(s). And since, of late, there is an abundance of encroachment, I find myself being, oft times, deliberate and fervent in what I write.  And so I choose to "write" without the approval or "applause" of at least half "the audience."

I invite you and implore you to join me in being fervent and deliberate in honoring our men and women in uniform, and to nourish, develop, and express your own passion(s) in defense and in the advancement of our Liberties, if you are not yet "in the fight."

And if you are, then please count me in as one beside you in the efforts, not just to keep alive the Flame of Freedom, but to help build that nation that will "ensure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity."

Thank you for being a Vanguard of Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment